National Communications Officers:

Bartosz Brzoszczyk
e-mail: bartosz.brzoszczyk@gmail.com

- Rafal Drobot
e-mail: rafal.drobot@gmail.com

General Information - Demographics:

Poland (capital - Warsaw) has an overall population of almost 38,4 million inhabitants and from 2004 is a member of EU. Poland is a member of the European Board of Urology (EBU). There are now 21 Universities offering medical education for future physicians. In 2018 (most current informations) there were 1362 urologists and 355 residents, working on 124 urological departments (2500 hospital beds, 211 thousands of hospitalizations per year).

National Urological Society:

Polskie Towarzystwo Urologiczne (PTU)
Polish Urological Association (PUA)
President:  Prof. Piotr L. Chlosta

Residents Organization: 

Sekcja Adeptów Urologii (SAU)

Section of Urology Residents (SoUR)
President:  Rafal Drobot

e-mail: sauptu@gmail.com

 fb page: http://facebook.com/sauptu 

Urological training:

After graduating Medical University (6 years) we have a post-graduation 13th months period of general practice. After that, we are obliged to pass a national exam (called final medical exam) and qualify for urological studies (competition proceedings based on the results of the final medical exam in each voivodeship). Urological training lasts six years. We can start urological training only at departments, which have an accreditation of Ministry of Health. Until 2001, there was a double-step educational postgradual system. In the new system, the whole period of postraduate education in urology is devided into internships in a fields of: general surgery (44 weeks), vascular surgery (8 weeks), kidney transplantation (8 weeks), orthopedics and traumatology (4 weeks), basic urology (136 weeks), endourology (8 weeks), ESWL (4 weeks), pediatric urology (8 weeks), surgical gynecology (4 weeks), oncological urology (8 weeks), clinical oncology (2 weeks), oncological radiotherapy (2 weeks), laparoscopic urology (16 weeks), nephrology and dialysis (2 weeks), urological clinical center (2 weeks). During training in urology we participate in several courses organized by Department of Postgraduate Medicine, which are mandatory. The resident's salary for basic working hours ranges from 3200-3600 PLN (750-850 EUR) on hand. The additional salary comes from obligatory medical shifts in hospital. After 1-st year of training residents can additionally work as urologists in office, only with the permisson of their specialization supervisor. Participation in EUREP is strongly recommended and participation in at least one EBU In-Service Assessment is obligatory. EBU Oral and Wriiten Examinations are the integral part of urological training, and the positive result is considered as passed specialization exam.

Career prospects:

As fully qualified urologists we can work in any hospital with an urological department or we can have our own private practice. 

Fellowship - Research Opportunities:

There is the special committee at the National Science Center - if we are interested in doing some urological research, we can ask this agency for funding, nevertheless we succeed only if the project is good enough. If a resident works in academic urological department, he can use internal academic resources and grants.